Thabo Mothibi, Managing Editor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Protests in the Sol Plaatje Municipal area –
The Northern Cape Department of Education is concerned over the recent spate of ongoing protests in the Sol Plaatje Municipal area since last week, as schools are preparing to open for the third term tomorrow, 17 July 2018, as per school calendar. At this stage, we are at risk of loosing valuable learning and teaching time if an amicable solution or agreement is not reached. However, we are continuing to engage the SAPS to provide us with regular updates as they are monitoring the situation. We have the best interest of educators and learners at heart and their safety is our first priority.
We call on law enforcement agencies to guard and protect our institutions of learning against any form of theft and vandalism. We further appeal to educators, parents and learners to use their own discretion and assess whether it is safe to go school. In the event that schooling is negatively affected, we can assure parents that our District office will immediately implement recovery plans in all the affected schools as soon as the situation returns back to normal.
According to the SAPS, currently there are no threats that will jeopardise the re-opening of schools in the Sol Plaatje Municipal area. We are currently awaiting the final update from the SAPS.
Finally, we are appealing to the public to ensure that schooling commence as normal, as per the 2018 school calendar and to afford our learners and educators the right to education. We are entering a crucial term, especially for our matriculants, as they prepare for their final examinations.
VIA: Geoffrey vd Merwe
Media Liaison Officer to the MEC
NC Department of Education
- Wholesale & Retail SETA ITAMED Sol Plaatje Municipality - 01/04/2020
- Wholesale & Retail SETA SMME Northern Cape - 29/03/2020
- MEC VILAKAZI LEADS THE CHARGE TOWARDS FESTIVE SEASON ROAD SAFETY IN NCAPE - 17/12/2019
- ALLEGED FEMALE FRAUDSTER AGED 50 ARRESTED IN KIMBERLEY - 05/12/2019
- DUO SET TO APPEAR IN COURT FOR WINDSORTON POLICE STATION ROBBERY - 05/12/2019
- NEW 3-IN-1 HIV PILL TO BE ROLLED OUT EARLY NEXT YEAR IN NCAPE - 02/12/2019
- CALVINIA POLICE SEIZE DAGGA WORTH R3 MILLION - 29/07/2019
- Sharp Increase In Northern Cape’s Festive Season Road Fatalities - 22/01/2019
- Four Die In Head-On Collision Near Kimberley - 27/09/2018
- KIMBERLEY SCHOOLS ARE BEING CLOSED FOR THE DAY - 30/07/2018